I am now officially three days away from turning 25-years-old. I know some of you read my post from last week on the 25 things I have learned in my 25 years. If you didn’t, well shame on you – you are not invited to eat cake with me… only kidding. You can catch up on that post here.
Anyway, after reading my post from last week, many of you can see, that I left a pretty important part out – well person, I should say. Yes, I forgot to include Brandi, my twin sister, and trust me, she has been pouting about it all week…only slightly kidding this time.
So I am going to compile another list of 25 for our 25 years of life together, only this time, it will be the 25 things us as twins have went through in our 25 years.
Here we go…
- The dress alike phase. Yes, I know this is common in twins, but our mom took it slightly overboard. Not only did we have to dress alike everyday in elementary school, but if one of us had to get our school picture retaken, we had to wear the same exact outfit as before, so that our new picture would still match the other twin’s original photo. We were the original model of “Who wore it better.” And we had matching bowl haircuts…like why?
- We had to share EVERYTHING! Clothes, a room, a bed, parents, a birthday, friends…the list goes on and on. It was very annoying back in the day, but now, we cherish it.
- We were/are a package deal. If one of us made a new friend, the other one automatically made a new friend too. You couldn’t befriend one twin without befriending the other. Our college roommate Kate found that out the first week of classes, and she was okay with it. Also, if you want to date one of us, you have to like the twin. If you don’t, it just isn’t going to work out – Sorry, not sorry.
- Yes, we do wear the same size shoe, shirt, and pant. No, Brandi does not like it when I borrow clothes from her closet. I have been known not to give certain things back if I think they look better on me – oops.
- We are use to, but still hate, being referred to as “the twins.” We are two different people. COMPLETELY DIFFERENT.
- If you call me Brandi, I will answer to that. Heck, I’ll even pretend to be her through the conversation. One time in college, one of Brandi’s classmates stopped me in the library to talk about a paper. I had no idea what paper, but I sure went along with it. Also, Brandi does the same thing for me.
- Yes, we know our voices sound exactly alike. We are twins. Tell us something that is new.
- We hate when you make us stop what we are doing, to stand side-by-side, so you can see how much or how little we look alike. It was flattering back in the day, but now it’s just annoying.
- Yes, we did swap places once during school. I went to math for Brandi and she went to English for me. Worked out perfectly.
- We did have a crush on the same guy once. Trust me, that only happened once. Believe it or not, our types are completely different.
- We did everything together. Had the same high school classes, had the same high school jobs, went to the same college, almost had the same degree, and even worked at the same place after college for a bit. Yes, we are inseparable.
- The longest we were ever apart up until this year, was 10 days during a summer in high school. It was complete torture.
- Yes, we do feel each others’ pain – physical and emotional.
- We ironically were obsessed with everything Mary-Kate and Ashley back in the day. Had every one of their movies, every one of their Barbie dolls, and even dressed in their clothes. We felt a bond with them.
- It’s true what they say – twins can tell other twins a part more easily. It is a gift.
- We did use the catch phrase, “Pinch, Poke, You owe me a Coke,” a lot back in the day. We said the same thing at the same time, totally unplanned, all the time. However, we never actually bought the other one a Coke.
- We have a ton of inside jokes. And no, I can’t tell you any of them, otherwise they wouldn’t be inside jokes, now would they.
- We have gotten into physical fights before. I did throw a hanger at her once for wearing my pants to church. Like I said above, we hate when the other “steals” our clothes. Don’t worry, we never stay mad at each other for more than five minutes.
- We have talked about living in a duplex. It will happen one day, whether our husbands like it or not. Remember, we are a package deal.
- Before anyone asks again, I am one minute older and a little more wiser. After all, I was in the world so much longer than Brandi.
- If you ask us which one the “bad” twin is, we will say the other one…every time. So, stop asking.
- We did have the Shaulis and Shaulis Mystery Agency back in the day. You can thank our obsession with the Olsen twins for that one. We set up shop in our shed, and solved one whole mystery, which was “who did the loud footsteps belong to that our mother heard while working alone in the church.” We did solve it, but we can’t disclose that information.
- You will never know more than me about my twin. It just won’t happen.
- I risked my life the night the tornado took our house, in order to get Brandi’s cherished Teddy Bear from the bedroom. That is true love right there. Yes, the bear is still with us today.
- She is my soul mate. No one will ever take that position away from her. After all, she has been with me my whole entire life. We shared an umbilical cord people, meaning I actually shared my precious food with her. I don’t do that with just anyone.
I know after reading through those, you are all jealous you don’t have a twin sister. If you aren’t, you definitely should be. Being a twin is an experience unlike any other, and my twin, is forever my best friend.
I love you Brandi – Happy Birthday…well almost.